First things first: let them play! I have learnt this. If I want to sneak in a little structured learning I have to let exploration happen first. Here is the exploration:
What is under here mummy?
Anyone for tea? Cheers!
New York Statue (Daisy’s words)
Genuine statue (again her words- don’t know where that came from!!)
I incorporated the sneaky learning by colouring a piece of card with crayon. I made boxes that were the same colour as the shapes under the memory caps.
On the other side of the card, I added a 1-12 grid.
The colour matching activity was not a hit so we ignored that and flipped over to the numbers.
This had more interest. We discovered a fun way to stack the blocks. Yes, I was joining in at this point.
- Discuss shape properties
- Sorting and making patterns
- What makes a statue? What do we like to look at statues? Those shapes go together well, why?
This post is part of a special blogaversary link party “Add A Little Learning To Your Play” blog hop
Congratulations to Jillian A Mom With A Lesson Plan, one busy year!
Here are the participating blogs:
- Deborah @ Teach Preschool
- Rachelle @ Tinkerlab.com
- Jamie @ Hands On: As We Grow
- Rachel @ Kids Activities Blog
- Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog
- Bernadette @ Mom to 2 Posh lil Divas
- Miranda @ Mangoes and Chutney
- Jane @ Mama Pea Pod